Car Seating Manufacturing

Every minute that a car owner spends inside the car is spent on the seats. That’s the reason car seats are a very important part of the driving experience, although car enthusiasts usually seem to attach less importance to it, and are more interested in things like the design of the grille or the shape of the headlamps etc.

These are some of the things that a car seat should have :

  • Good support to the lower back and spine so that long driving hours do not give you a sleepless night of back pains
  • Easy adjustment so that driving position is most comfortable
  • Correct installation so that safety is ensured, especially in case of a crash
  • If you are driving a car with a baby on board, then a baby safety seat is a must

The automobile industry is going through several disruptions today which will change forever the way we operate and navigate cars. The driverless cars are a case in point. When it comes to car seating manufacturing, are there any innovations taking place that we should take note of?

  • Some manufacturers have come up with car seats which act as your wellness coach while you are seated. Your heartbeats and breathing frequency will be monitored real time by sensors fitted in the seats, and suitable advice provided accordingly. As an example, after a long day driving on a road trip, you might be advised to get a shoulder massage. It is possible that the car seat of the future might have an inbuilt massage functionality added in as well. Or if the traffic is driving you crazy and your blood pressure is shooting up, you would get a message to take a pause and drink some juice.
  • One feature that will be added to driverless cars is the fully rotatable seat. Obviously, since you will not be required to actually drive. So all seats in the car can be rotated to face each other, while the car drives itself.
  • The Internet of Things is changing designs for every small and big device we use, with an attempt to connect multiple devices on the internet. Car seat manufacturers are also working towards IoT functionality for the car seats.
  • Most passengers now have a variety of activities while they are inside the car, like listening to music, sipping a drink, checking their social media pages etc, so seating manufacturers are devising ways to add on trays, mobile holders and even mobile chargers to individual car seats.

We do hope that we also get to see these innovations in car seating manufacturing technology in India in the near future. But the Indian automobile industry has a unique problem. Just 6% of automobile component manufacturers are in the organized sector, while the remaining 94% is unorganized and consists of small players. These smaller car seating manufacturing companies would not be willing to or capable of putting in large amounts of money in research for innovation. So it is up to the bigger players to spend resources on innovation in the field of car seating.